Crowns or Bridges: Post Op Instructions
Post Op Instructions:
You have just had crowns or fixed bridges cemented onto your teeth. They will replace your missing tooth structure and give you years of service if you observe the following.
- CHEWING: Do not chew hard foods on the restorations for 1\2 hour from the time they were cemented.
- SENSITIVITY: Don’t worry about mild sensitivity to hot or cold foods, it will disappear gradually over a few weeks. If infrequent sensitivity lasts longer than 6 weeks, please let us know.
- AGGRESSIVE CHEWING: Do not chew ice or other hard objects. Avoid chewing very sticky foods such as “hard tack” candy because they can remove restorations.
- PREVENTATIVE PROCEDURES: To provide optimum longevity for your restorations and prevent future dental decay and supporting tissue breakdown, please use the following preventive procedures that are checked.
- Brush and floss after eating and before bedtime.
- Swish vigorously for at least 30 seconds daily with one of the following fluoride rinse products (the best time is immediately before bedtime):
- Colgate FLUOIGARD.
- Johnson & Johnson ACT.
- LISTERMINT with Fluoride.
- Use fluoride gel such as PREVIDENT as advised by us (requires a prescription).
- Use a Water Pik as advised by us.
- Use bridge cleaners as advised by us.
- Use an Interplak tooth brush as advised by us.
- RECALLS: Visit us at regular six-month examination periods. Often problems that are developing around the restorations can be found at an early state and corrected easily. Waiting for a longer time may require redoing the entire restoration. INADEQUATE RETURN FOR EXAMINATION IS THE MOST SIGNIFICANT REASON FOR PROSTHESES FAILURE.
- PROBLEMS:IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS OCCURS, CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY TO AVOID FURTHER PROBLEMS:
- Feeling of movement or looseness in the restoration.
- Sensitivity to sweet foods.
- A peculiar taste from the restoration site.
- Breakage of a piece of material from the restoration.
- Sensitivity to pressure.
Call Park West Dental today at 208.524.0870 (Pancheri Office) or 208.522.1164 (Channing Way Office) to learn more about our dentistry services. We look forward to serving you and helping you achieve the smile you’ve always wanted.